Sunday, November 2, 2008

Hip-hop dance instructor teaches in Cottonwood



A Cottonwood resident who has studied and taught dance all over the South County is going back to his roots teaching hip-hop dance at the Cottonwood Community Center. Max Friedman took his very first dance class the center.

The dance teacher said that years ago, he wasn't thrilled with the idea of taking a dance class, but once he did, he didn't' want to stop.

"I always thought dancing was kind of like a girls thing. I thought I was supposed to play football or basketball or something," he said. "But I found I wasn't too bad at it and I enjoyed it, so I kept with it."

Five years later, Friedman is passing on skills to Cottonwood children and teens.

There are currently about five children in the class, and the instructor said there's room for more.

During his Monday class, Friedman teaches hip-hop dance moves and incorporates them into routines. The teacher also makes sure to start the class with stretches, and at the end of class, he gives his students a more-complicated dance move to practice during the week.

One of Friedman's favorite parts about teaching dance is watching his students pick up on the dance moves.

"It reminds me when I first started hip-hop. 'When I would get a move down was like, Yes, I finally got it," Friedman said. "It makes you feel good when you master something like that. I enjoy helping kids get there."

Another reason why the instructor enjoys dance is because it builds self-confidence.

"I've had friends that are really shy, and when they started doing dance they totally came out of their shell," he said.

"If you are out somewhere and people start dancing, you are not just sitting on the side feeling uncomfortable," Friedman said. "Once you get it down, you are no longer scared to get out there."

By Breeana Laughlin (Contact)

No comments: